Message from the Medical Director
The statistic is startling, yet very real: one in every three people will suffer from a stroke. Now, Saint Francis Hospital and Medical Center is taking a pre-emptive strike against strokes with the creation of The Stroke Center at Saint Francis.
The program was created through the collaboration of combined resources available within the medical center, with the goal of creating a Stroke Center of excellence. The objective is to provide state-of-the-art care to stroke patients. This is reflected in our vision statement as follows:
- The mission of The Stroke Center at Saint Francis is to meet the needs of our patients and our community by being the leader in the provision of high-quality, state-of-the-art treatment of stroke.
- We commit to fulfill this mission in an environment of respect, integrity, service, leadership, stewardship, teamwork, and pride.
- The Stroke Center is aligned with the mission of Saint Francis Hospital and Medical Center and is committed to health and healing through excellence, compassionate care, and reverence for the spirituality of each person.
To achieve this, we have assembled a highly specialized team of physicians from various specialties, who collaborate at all stages towards providing rapid diagnosis, response, and treatment of stroke patients through clinically advanced, leading-edge technology.
The Stroke Center at Saint Francis
- Emergency evaluation and inpatient care of the stroke patient
- Endovascular treatment by our Board Certified Neuroradiologist, including mechanical embolectomy, intra-arterial thrombolysis, aneurysm coiling, and AVM embolization
- Stroke education:
- for physicians interested in learning more about stroke prevention and management (Click "Stroke Education Series" link in the Mediasite Catalog menu)
- for nursing staff in the Stroke Units caring for stroke patients
- for stroke and ‘at risk’ stroke patients with poorly managed cardiovascular and stroke risk factors. Topics relate to smoking cessation, understanding and managing blood pressure, diabetes, and hyperlipidemia. The goal of every class is to inform and educate participants in identifying their risk factors for stroke and to promote healthy lifestyles.
- State-of-the-art diagnostic testing that includes CT, MRI, CTA, and CT Perfusion studies
- Innovative treatment and follow-up of stroke and transient ischemic attack (TIA) patients with establishment of the Post Stroke Follow-Up Program
- Comprehensive rehabilitation in collaboration with Mount Sinai Rehabilitation Hospital
Our broad spectrum of diagnostic and therapeutic care of patients with disorders of blood vessels of the brain includes ischemic stroke, transient ischemic stroke, atrial fibrillation, subarachnoid hemorrhage, intracranial hemorrhage, aneurysm, AVM, and AVF.
Please review the various sections in this website to learn more about stroke and also about The Stroke Center at Saint Francis.
Mansour Afshani, M.D.