Breast is Best
Saint Francis Hospital and Medical Center offers a comprehensive array of support services for nursing mothers. They include:
This one night class covers topics such as the benefits of breastfeeding, the first few hours, positioning and latching, avoiding common problems and how to know if your baby is 'getting enough.' Learn more...
Breastfeeding Mothers Group
This informal group meets weekly to discuss topics related to breastfeeding and child care and provide support and encouragement for mothers and their breastfeeding babies. The group is facilitated by a board certified lactation consultant. Learn more...
Breastfeeding "Warm Line"
Telephone consultation is available for mothers after discharge from the hospital. Referral to the maternity phone is done for immediate assistance, with follow up by the lactation consultants. Call 860 714-6025.
Lactation consultants/lactation counselors are available for consultation with patients, families, and health care providers during the prenatal period, hospital stay and after discharge. In addition to making daily rounds on the maternity and labor and delivery units, as well as the NICU, consultants are available to help patients in situations that may include:
- Special circumstances in the prenatal period (expected multiples, assessments of the nipple/breast, medical conditions/medications, anticipated congenital problems such as cleft lip/palate and prior breast surgery...)
- Bedside assistance with positioning/latch-on issues
- Continued support during the lactation experience
- Support and assistance in the NICU to promote breastfeeding or pumping if needed, to establish mother’s milk supply
- Consultation to medical/surgical units for patients admitted to other parts of hospital
For Saint Francis Employees
Our MotherCare Program supports our employees who are returning to work and wish to continue breastfeeding. Granted the Connecticut Breastfeeding Coalition’s Gold Standard Award, our MotherCare room provides a private, relaxing place for pumping while at work. We also offer breast pump rental as an employee benefit.