We accept all Anthem BlueCross plans. Please note that there are several plans that have different requirements as explained below.
- Anthem BlueCross approves through our practice the laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass, laparoscopic gastric band (Lap-band® or REALIZE® band), laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy (check with your plan for coverage of this procedure) and revision procedures for the treatment of complications, side-effects or inadequate weight loss of a previous weight loss surgery. Anthem BlueCross covers all preoperative office visits and preoperative testing, as well as all postoperative office visits. Based on our agreement with Anthem BlueCross, there will be no co-pays for physician visits during the first three months after your surgery.
- CT Anthem BlueCross, BlueCross BlueShield Federal and BlueCross BlueShield of MA (Blue New England) require two nutritional visits with a Registered Dietitian (RD) without co-pays.
- Horizon BlueCross BlueShield of NJ requires a 6-month (a total of seven visits within six consecutive months during the last two years) medically supervised diet with a physician or an RD (nutritional visits are not covered by BlueCross BlueShield of NJ).
- Empire BlueCross BlueShield requires two nutritional visits with an RD with $30 co-pay.
- Independence BlueCross requires two nutritional visits with an RD with $40 co-pay.
- BlueCross Century requires two visits with an RD but nutritional visits are not covered.
We recommend that you should make your first appointment with our RD, Judy Carty (tel: 860-714-6591) early on during this process so you won’t delay the approval of your surgery by Anthem BlueCross.
Anthem BlueCross will not approve your surgery if documentation for the required nutritional requirements according to your plan is not provided. Pre-authorization by Anthem BlueCross is required before your surgery is performed. Pre-authorization is the last step before your surgery and it takes place once you have completed all required pre-operative testing.